Monday, March 5, 2012

feichang mang!

very very busy. that is my life in shanghai. work is crazy + life is crazy. today marks the 2 month 'anniversary' of my arrival to shanghai. it's pretty nuts; sometimes it feels like way longer and sometimes it feels like such a flash. here's what i've learned so far:

-kfc is amazing (see my breakfast below)

-hai di lao is amazing.

-qipu lu is amazing. i went again this past weekend and i got these fleece lined tights. they are insane, im so confused a. why they dont sell them in the states and b. how i can wear my three pairs every day for the rest of winter.

-dont take the subway during rush hour. it is the only time you will ever realize that shanghai is one the most populated cities in the world.

-eating the way i do does result in fat growth. exercising in shanghai is quite the feat so walking has been my best bet. and for those who know me, i dont really do gyms. but my walk to work (equivalent to two NY avenues) hasn't conquered my kfc breakie, greasy shanghainese lunch, pizza/mexican/extravagant french dinners and long days sitting in a desk chair. sigh. the world will have to live with my new physique.

-learning chinese takes loads of practice. luckily i sit in an office with 5 native chinese speakers. every day i spend 10-30 minutes just practicing my chinese lessons with them. of course, this is in addition to my daily chinese banter:

Production colleague: can you help to update this by 12?
Me: keyi.
Production colleague: WAH?! you can speak chinese?!
Me: keyi.
Production colleague: hen hao!

Other merchant: what do you guys want for lunch
Me: xiao long bao
Other merchant: wah!! you speak chinese?!

Me (to anyone): ni hui shuo yingwen ma? (can you speak english)
Person: bu hui. (no)
[silence]

as i've learned, a little goes a long way. but i try to speak as much as possible whenever possible. soon enough my coworkers will have to find a new language to gossip in!

yesterday i coerced my friend/coworker vanessa to go to dinner with me for my 2 month anniversary. vanessa (the girl in the photo below) is my new bestie - she helps me with EVERYTHING and we have a great time together! e.g. she recently acquired a sonic care electric tooth brush on tao bao for me.

so far, life is good in shanghai. much to see and do but have some great company doing it. now, i am waiting for visitors!!! hit me up with your plans :)

p.s. i'm headed to ny for my first work trip later this month. mar 24 - apr 5. see some of you then!

1 comment: