Sunday, January 15, 2012

Don't Stampede

So I have survived week 1 in Shanghai. Pretty good week filled with more ups than downs! Success. I am not feeling particularly witty today so unfortunately the pictures will have to speak for themselves.

Work has been great, same job just here in Shanghai. Makes it much easier when your entire team is in one time zone! I could get used to this...

I've been to the Gap offices here before my move but for some reason I never caught this sign inside the bathroom stall until now.
Now usually I stampede to the bathroom because I really have to go but never did I associate it with this image. If this does actually occur, I'm glad there is a warning against it. I'm just afraid of the repercussions if you actually do stampede as per above picture. Perhaps a finding for my next post!

In other work news, I mentioned that we had a CNY party and it was pretty awesome. There were loads of skits, leadership teams rapping, lion dances and best of all, giveaways. Not only did I get this amazing Lock&Lock Glassware set to use in my new hotel room...


but I actually also won an i-phone 4s!!! Here's me with the lucky #! It's going to be a good year. Mainly because people here will pay over $1,000 for the new iphone so I'm in the money! I can finally afford the delivery charge to my boonies hotel.
Apparently people are not fessing up the videos of our skit involving my Beyonce dance but I'm pretty sure they exist and either a. people just don't understand my awkward english when I ask if they 'captured my tantalizing single lady showdown' and/or b. it's already on youtube under "feng meiguoren" (crazy american).

So one thing I really wanted to do here was start becoming a regular at certain places or at least just the only Indian girl a shop/restaurant knows. I have already found my nail place. Hidden in this dark alley on Nanjing Lu is a small gem of a nail salon subtly entitled Villa de Nail. Those nimble and precise hands are just too good to avoid. This hand-painted creation was the 'fashionista sexy pick' for a festive (note the red and gold color palette) yet vogue nail art. also...they speak english. enough to understand 'ow' and other passive aggressive comments you might say when getting your nails done (e.g. oh...that's what it looks like with two coats?). After a half hour of gossiping in chinese, they even had the courtesy to confirm that I didn't understand them. OBSESSED.


Now my focus for the next four days is HOUSE HUNTING. seen several choices but haven't landed the plane yet and things are getting snatched up! Hopefully these nails will show the landlords how serious i am. Wish me luck...

2 comments:

  1. Myra! It's Caroline (Massanova)! I love the blog! I hope you are enjoying China! I give your lot of credit for moving so far away (although by now I am sure you are used to living away from home haha). My husband and I are moving to Texas and I am having major anxiety about it all!

    My husband was just talking about how in Afghanistan, the natives would stand on the toilet and they had similar signs on the toilets at his camp. Now I see they do that in China as well!

    Ok, sorry for leaving such a long comment! I am looking forward to reading more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Friend! Sounds like you are adjusting. So SORRY I didn't get to see you before you left, but maybe when I am headed to Japan in April we can meet!

    Wishing you the best, love!

    xx
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete